Learn to improve readability scores
Read it and weep. More than half of all Americans have basic or below basic reading skills, according to the DOE’s latest adult literacy test.
That means they can sign forms, compare ticket prices for two events and look up shows in a TV guide. But they have trouble finding places on a map. Can’t calculate the cost of office supplies from a catalog. Are unable to compare viewpoints in two editorials.
“My mind is blown, and I’m looking at everything through a new lens!”
— Chelsea Ornelas, marketing & public relations lead, Sourcewell
Read more rave reviews …
How well are we reaching these folks with our messages?
In writing coach Ann Wylie’s clear-writing workshop, you’ll learn how to make every piece you write easier to read and understand. You’ll walk away with secrets you can use to reach more readers, measurably improve readability and sell clear writing to management.
In this five-day workshop (two hours a day), you’ll learn how to:
1. Reach more readers
Get a reality check on the level at which your readers really read. (Prepare to be depressed!) Learn to write messages that get more people to read your piece, read more of it, read it faster, understand it better and remember it longer.
2. Measure, monitor & manage readability
With a cool (free!) tool, analyze your message for 27 readability metrics — from word length to sentence structure to Flesch Reading Ease. Then you’ll learn how to measurably improve your readability scores.
3. Cut Through the Clutter
What’s the right length for your piece? Your paragraphs? Your sentences? Your words? Leave with quantifiable targets, tips and techniques for hitting the right numbers.
4. Take the Numb Out of Numbers
Learn how to avoid statistics soup and data dumps … how to make numbers more emotional … how to increase understanding by turning numbers into things … how to choose the right chart … and more.
5. Start Making Sense
Jargon reduces social media reach and influence, cuts media coverage, makes your website harder to find — even makes it seem as if you don’t understand the topic you’re writing about. Learn how to translate the language of your business into the language of your readers.
Plus: Live Editing Sessions
Put the “master” in the Master Class by practicing and perfecting the skills you learn in the workshop. You’ll:
- Master the techniques you’ve learned in two-minute practice sessions, then get Ann’s award-winning ideas for improving your work.
- Work with your peers to turn lame digital marketing pieces into high-quality content, then find out what Ann would do.
- Get written feedback on your own work from your colleagues.
- Watch Ann transform your work in live editing sessions in class.
Master the techniques writing coach Ann Wylie has used to earn more than 60 communication awards, including two IABC Gold Quills — the Pulitzer Prizes of business communications.
“I cannot believe how much I changed and improved one piece in this session. I also enjoyed the ability to hear more from the other professionals in the room. Very interactive, which I loved.”
— Megan McCarl, public relations associate, Lambert, Edwards & Associates
Logistics — NEW FORMAT!
- Learn at your own pace, at your convenience.
- Spend more time with Ann on live editing and coaching sessions.
- Learn with a community of like-minded communicators.
Class runs from May 26 through June 23.
Weekly trainings. Access weekly trainings at your convenience, starting:
- May 26: Rev Up Readability
- June 2: Pare Down the Piece, Punch Out Paragraphs
- June 9: Streamline Sentences, Take the Numb Out of Numbers
- June 16: Whittle Words, Start Making Sense
- June 23-July 23: Continue to polish your skills with access recordings of all sessions — including live coaching and editing calls — and the LinkedIn Group Page
Weekly live coaching and editing sessions. Mark your calendars for live one-hour coaching and editing sessions with Ann at noon Central on:
- June 2: Rev Up Readability
- June 9: Pare Down the Piece, Punch Out Paragraphs
- June 16: Streamline Sentences, Take the Numb Out of Numbers
- June 23: Whittle Words, Start Making Sense
- Silver (workshop only): $1,195
- Gold (Silver + $352 worth of learning tools — Cut Through the Clutter, Start Making Sense, Think Like a Reader, Think Outside the Pyramid): $1,295
- Platinum (Gold +$297 subscription to Rev Up Readership): $1,395
- Diamond (Platinum +$750 Jump-the-Line Live Editing Sessions with Ann. Ensure that Ann will edit your message live in class. Must meet class deadlines.): $1,795
Please learn about our cancellation policy and more in our FAQ.
“Some of the most valuable, actionable information I’ve ever taken away from a conference. Well worth the time and investment.”
— Lindsey Foss, PR manager, Iowa Soybean Association
APRs: Earn 4 accreditation renewal credits.
Save up to $100 with our group discounts.