Analogy clarifies science, technology, more
When my grandfather first saw a car, he didn’t think “automobile.” He thought, “That’s a carriage that moves without a horse — it’s a horseless carriage.” He added to his knowledge by comparing the new concept to something he already understood.
That’s what your audience members will do, too, if you help them grasp unfamiliar ideas through metaphor.
Why clarify complex concepts with metaphor?
- Why is a metaphor effective? People learn through metaphor
How to clarify complex concepts with metaphor
- Master of metaphor: PNNL science writer shows how to communicate complex concepts
- ‘The Emperor of All Maladies’: Siddhartha Mukherjee clarifies cancer with comparison
- Metaphor makes the difference: Need your audience to ‘get’ your point? Use metaphor
- Analogy makes him great: Rob Kapilow makes Mozart meaningful through metaphor
More on clarifying complex concepts with metaphor
- Resources on clarifying complex concepts: Websites, books & more