Test your clarity with these cool tools
WordsCount’s SMOG Calculator measures the readability of your copy based on sentence length and syllable length and delivers the grade level a reader would need to have achieved to easily read your copy.
8 more free online calculators
You can also run other readability tests on your copy online with:
- Edit Central’s readability calculators. Run the Flesch Reading Ease, Automated Readability Index, Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level, Coleman-Liau Index, Gunning Fog index and the SMOG Index on your copy.
- Gunning Fog Index calculator. Cut and paste your copy to learn the reading grade level of your piece.
- Juicy Studios online readability tester. Plug in your URL, and run your webpage through the Gunning Fog, Flesch Reading Ease and Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level indexes.
- OKAPI! Run Spache (grades 1 through 3) or Dale-Chall (grades 4 and up) on your copy.
- Readability analyzer. This tool not only analyzes readability, but also gives you different ways to dig into your message, from paragraph-by-paragraph level readability to Difficult and Extraneous Word Finder to Passive Voice Detector to Site Thin Content Checker and more.
- Readability calculator. This free online tool calculates the Coleman Liau index, Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level, Automated Readability Index and SMOG.
- Readability Test Tool. Run your copy through the Flesch Reading Ease, Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level, Gunning Fog, Coleman-Liau Index and Automated Readability Index (ARI).
- STORYtoolz. Run seven readability tests — the Automated Readability Index, Coleman-Liau, Laesbarhedsindex (LIX), Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level, Flesch Reading Ease, Gunning Fog index and SMOG (Simple Measure of Gobbledygook) — on your copy.