Improve your team’s writing skills with an Ann Wylie writing course
Which of these situations sounds like yours?
- Your fresh communicators need more depth. These folks can crank out communication plans in their sleep, and you never have to worry about keeping social streams filled. But they can’t write sophisticated messages that engage readers’ hearts and minds and that move people to act.
- Your seasoned communicators struggle to keep up. These folks can craft a compelling argument, tell a story that could bring you to tears and hit aggressive readability targets with ease. But they haven’t kept up with the latest best practices in blog-post writing, email marketing, writing for the mobile web or digital PR writing.
“Ann just completed her second workshop at The Coca-Cola Company, and I can tell you the feedback has been outstanding. I hate using the word literally, but people have literally been telling me her course has changed the way they think about writing forever.
“No matter what kind of content your teams create, if they use words, they will benefit immensely from spending these two days with Ann. You leave it an instantly better writer, with new skills you can apply that same day.”
— Mike Phifer, senior director, Global Corporate Reputation, The Coca-Cola Company
- You cringe when you think about what’s going out of your shop. Inaccuracies. Typos. AP style errors. It’s sloppy! You might even have had some embarrassing conversations with the boss about the state of your group’s written communications.
- Your writers are great. It’s the approvers who are the problem. Your writing team is mature, professional and up-to-date. But your approvers wouldn’t know good writing if it bit their ankles, and your team is starting to write for reviewers, not for results.
You’ve mentored and coached. But that’s time-consuming, and you have your own objectives to meet. Besides, if you’d wanted to get into the business of writing coaching, you’d be doing that full-time.
You’ve negotiated with reviewers. But these conversations don’t seem to go anywhere. Sometimes it seems as if your team’s work is never going to get any better than the lawyers and executives allow it to be.
Build better writers and approvers.
Hi! I’m Ann Wylie, and I feel your pain.
For 20 years, I’ve traveled from Hollywood to Helsinki, presenting in-house writing workshops to clients ranging from Coca-Cola to Carnegie Mellon, from NASA to Nike, and from Toshiba to Toyota. I’ve trained thousands of PR, marketing and communications professionals. And I’ve talked to hundreds of vice presidents, directors, managers and other communication team leaders.
They all tell me the same thing: Excellent writing is the No. 1 skill they need in order to deliver bottom-line business results to their organization. And communicators with excellent writing skills are getting harder and harder to find.
The good news is, there is a solution: Build better writers with in-house training, coaching and writing tools. And build better approvers by nurturing a culture that supports concise and effective writing in your organization.
Even better news: I can help you do both.
Data-driven writing training
Let’s hold an in-house writing workshop to equip your all of your team members with:
- Proven-in-the-lab best practices. I’m a nerd. While you’re out and about on a Friday night, I’m likely to be cuddled up with a warm study. The result: I’ve developed a system of data-driven techniques that get readers to 1) pay attention to your message; 2) understand it; 3) remember it; and 4) act on it.
How do I know my system works? It’s the same approach I’ve used to earn more than 60 communication awards, including two IABC Gold Quills — the Pulitzer Prizes of business communications.
- Tips and tricks they can use tomorrow. Your team will learn tricks for finding the story angle their readers want to read. (Most communicators use the story angle their organizations wish readers wanted to read!) … Tricks for organizing messages to increase readers by 300% and reading by 520%. … Tricks for writing paragraphs that don’t get skipped on smartphones … Tricks for getting the word out in the 11 seconds people typically spend on brand emails.
- Results you can see on the page. When you make your training a Master Class, your team will get extra time for feedback and coaching. They’ll write, edit, rewrite — and leave with a totally rewritten piece. You’ll be amazed with results like this release, this email invitation and this content-marketing piece.
- Tools for ongoing learning, culture shift. Roll out your team’s new writing system throughout the organization with writing guidelines that get everyone on the same page, mini-sessions to let approvers know what to look for in good writing, one-on-one writing coaching and more.
“Ann is one of the few people who can actually teach something substantial about writing.”
— George Stenitzer, vice president of corporate communications, Tellabs
Read more rave reviews.
In-house writing training topics
Improve your team’s core writing skills: Get them up-to-speed on the latest best practices with these in-house writing courses:
Questions? Contact me directly.
Ready to improve your team’s writing skills?