Tell better corporate stories with this creative-writing training program
As ad giant David Ogilvy famously said, “Nobody ever sold anybody anything by boring them to death.” Most organizations seem to have missed that memo.
“Ann transformed my writing in a mere 12 hours.”
— Brent Buchanan, communication, advocacy & political professional, Cygnal
Read more rave reviews
But at Master the Art of Storytelling, you’ll learn how to engage readers with a great story, as well as other creative elements like concrete details, description, wordplay and metaphor.
What you’ll learn in our storytelling workshops
In Ann Wylie’s business storytelling workshops, you will learn how to:
- Master the Art of Storytelling. Storytelling is “the most powerful form of human communication,” according to Peg Neuhauser, author of Corporate Legends and Lore. Learn to write personal stories, business stories and leadership stories that grab attention, boost credibility, make your messages more memorable — even communicate better.
- Color Readers Fascinated. There’s a 1:1 correlation between concrete words and understanding. Concrete phrases are 400% more memorable than abstract ones. Learn to make your great stories easier to understand, remember and act on with concrete detail.
- Play With Your Words. Cut through the clutter of competing messages with wordplay. You’ll go beyond twist of phrase to flip phrases; compress details; sub soundalikes; list, rhyme and twist — even coin new words. Plus: Walk away with links to some of the best (free!) wordplay resources — as well as ideas for how to use them.
- Make Magic with Metaphor. Learn how to get the zombies out of your message: Don’t let Dead and Dead2 metaphors eat your readers’ brains. Craft a compelling metaphor with our fill-in-the-blanks formula. Plus: Learn which kinds of metaphors to choose, which to avoid and where in your message to place them from 50 years of research.
- Paint Pictures in Readers’ Minds. Learn to make your readers’ brains light up with description. Find out about new ways to dig up descriptive details: Try WBHA, the most overlooked reporting tool there is. Use our travel writer’s tip for going beyond visual description.
- Think Outside the Pyramid. You wouldn’t tell the Cinderella story by leading with the bottom line: And they lived happily ever after. It’s a sad fact: Storytelling and the inverted pyramid are mutually exclusive. In this session, you’ll learn a structure that makes your social media and other messages more fascinating and engaging.
“Fantastic! Often times, I come to these workshops and speakers give good ideas but aren’t always scalable to a company as large as the one I work for. These tips are relevant regardless of audience size. So helpful!”
— Angelica Kelly, lead consultant, internal communications, AT&T
Choose from these formats for Ann’s business storytelling training courses:
- In-house training programs: Teach your whole team to write good stories with our in-house, online courses.
- Public Master Classes: Build your own creative-writing skills when you attend one of our writing workshops near you.
- Association workshops: Bring Ann to your conference or chapter for a keynote, breakout session or professional development program.
I’m ready to become a great storyteller!
I’d like to:
- Book Ann for an in-house or association workshop.
- Attend Master the Art of Storytelling, Ann’s master class, Sept. 19-23.
- Learn about our corporate communications trainer, Ann Wylie.
Questions? Contact Ann.