Registration is closed now. Sign up to be notified when it’s open again.
Think Inside the Inbox in this email marketing course
Learn to write effective email newsletters, marketing emails
American professionals receive an average of 121 emails a day. And that’s per inbox. Now multiply that by the several personal email accounts people tend to have in addition to their primary work account.
No wonder most of those emails aren’t getting opened. In fact, an average of 276 emails sit unread in inboxes at any given time. That’s a 300% increase in just four years.
And not only are you competing with the inbox for your reader’s time. You’re also competing with favorite sites, mobile apps, RSS feeds, news digests, search and social media.
“This workshop was extremely valuable. Even as writing director, I found great insights that I’ll be taking back with me and using on Day 1. Highly recommended!”
– Libby Waterbury, creative and copy director, Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield
Read more rave reviews
In this environment, how can you write email newsletters and other marketing emails that get the word out to recipients?
What this course covers
Learn to write emails that get opened, read, clicked and shared at Ann Wylie’s Think Inside the Inbox email marketing online course. In this email marketing training, you’ll learn how to:
- Address the Envelope. Recipients look at four elements — not just the subject line — to decide whether to open or delete. Are you making the most of each?
- Create an Email That Gets Read. Master a structure that boosts readership, understanding, engagement and more.
- Cut Through the Clutter in Email. Recipients spend, on average, 51 seconds reading e-zines and 11 seconds reading email marketing blasts. Now what?
- Lift Ideas Off the Email. Only 19% of people thoroughly read emails. How do you get the word out to nonreaders?
- Live coaching calls. The course includes feedback from your colleagues and Ann in live coaching sessions.
(Yes, these marketing skills will help you with your social media, affiliate marketing, landing pages and other online marketing efforts as well as your email marketing campaigns.)
What you’ll learn in this email marketing course
You may have already learned the fundamentals of email marketing through Hubspot Academy and LinkedIn Learning. Now it’s time to learn to grow your business (or your employer’s) through advanced email marketing writing techniques with award-winning writing coach Ann Wylie.
Specifically, you’ll become a good email marketer who knows how to:
Address the envelope
Your subject line is only one of four elements recipients on your email lists consider before deciding whether to open or click. In this session, you’ll learn to address all four. Specifically, you’ll learn how to:
- Write email subject lines that get clicked. Carnegie Mellon researchers have identified the top two reasons subject lines work. Don’t keep sending email until you apply this to your own email marketing strategy.
- Increase campaign revenue by 760% (Direct Marketing Association) by going beyond personalized emails.
- Multiply campaign success by 1000% (Eloqua) by adding one more data point to tailored emails.
- Avoid dropping the key element on your envelope. 24% of recipients check this before opening. Too often, senders forget to write it — or, worse, have never even heard of it.
- Go beyond the subject line to convince readers to open your message.
“Excellent! This workshop helped me get a different perspective on my writing and inspired me to think more like the audience I’m trying to reach.”
– Laurianne Riley, senior manager, marketing, Community Associations Institute
Write Emails That Get Read
American professionals receive an average of 121 emails a day (The Radicati Group) — in each of their two or more inboxes (Nielsen Norman Group). No wonder 276 emails languish unread (NNG).
In this environment, how do digital marketers write emails that get read?
- Grab attention with email leads. Steal our four great email leads to try — including one fill-in-the-blanks formula that will change your life — and stay away from our four bad email leads to avoid. (Use these for your content marketing and social media pieces, too.)
- Avoid the No. 1 reason people unsubscribe. Two-thirds of the folks on email marketing lists quit brand emails for this reason.
- Make it clever … but not too clever. Readers complain when your email isn’t edgy, insightful or witty enough. They also complain if it’s too cutesy. Find the fine line between interesting and silly.
- Pass the 1-2-3-4 Test to get the word out via emails on mobile.
- Write sentences that email recipients can actually understand in emailing campaigns.
“Would recommend to anyone, even experienced professionals and confident writers.”
– Nicolette Querry, outreach coordinator, Maryland Association of Counties
Cut Through the Clutter in Email
Assuming your audience members do open your email message, people spend an average of just 11 seconds on each email they review. So how do you write concise emails that recipients will read? In this session, you’ll learn to:
- Reach readers who spend an average of 51 seconds (NNG) on email newsletters with our simple formula.
- Write email marketing blasts that get the word out to the average email recipient, who spends just 11 seconds (NNG) on email marketing messages.
- Avoid the Goldilocks Conundrum. Keep your email message short — but not too short. Readers complain about both ends of the spectrum.
- Pass the 1-2-3-4-5 Rule for paragraphs that are easy to read on smartphones.
- Hit the right grade level for email recipients.
“This is the most engaging workshop I’ve ever attended. Ann is the best.”
– ML Jordan, team leader, Social Security Administration
Lift Ideas Off the Email
Just 24% of people fully read email newsletters on mobile devices. The rest skim — or only glance at — their messages.
So how do you get the word out to flippers and skimmers? In this session, you will learn how to:
- Reach nonreaders via email. Learn how with our simple test.
- Choose the right email template for your email newsletter. Three formats have been proven in the lab to increase readership.
- Sidestep fat-finger/no-bars syndrome. Mobile email readers click 40% less often. And they click on fewer links than desktop or laptop users. Learn to optimize links and buttons — and where to put your call to action — for mobile.
- Don’t get your head cut off. What’s the right length for email headlines that don’t get cut off by email apps, smartphone screens — or humans?
- Avoid the worst link problem. It decreases accessibility, reduces scanning and cuts your chance of getting clicked.
“Love it! Ann’s expertise has helped my writing in countless ways.”
– Sarah Julian, director, communications, Oklahoma Public School Resource Center
“Fantastic blend of teaching, real-life examples, group discussions, practice, and peer reviews.”
— Holly White, communications specialist, RETTEW
Location & logistics for this email marketing course
Join us via Zoom and LinkedIn from noon to 2 p.m. Central on:
- Oct. 17: Address the Envelope
- Oct. 18: Master Email Structure
- Oct. 19: Cut Through the Clutter
- Oct. 20: Reach Recipients Where They Look
- Oct. 21: Get Clicked with Better Links; Live Editing Session
Can’t make a date? You’ll have on-demand access to the online workshop until Nov. 21.
- Silver (workshop only): $1,195
- Gold (Silver + $303 worth of learning tools — Cut Through the Clutter, Think Like a Reader, Think Outside the Pyramid): $1,295
- Platinum (Gold +$297 subscription to Rev Up Readership): $1,395
- Diamond (Platinum +$750 private coaching session with Ann): $1,795
Please learn about our discounts, cancellation policy and more in our FAQ.