Highly literate readers do better with easy text
Why readability? Reach readers, communicate better, boost the bottom line
- Readability helps everyone: You’re not dumbing it down; you’re lifting it up
- Make your copy easy to read: Best way to make an ‘Impact’
- Why clarity?: 5 myths of complicated copy
- The cost of bad writing: It’s a $37 million problem a year at one organization
Readability by industry: Health care, finance, government
- Clarity decreases patient anxiety: Saint Luke’s makes consent forms readable
- CEO pay disclosures ‘like reading War and Peace’: Proxies mind-numbing
- SEC calls for clearer writing: Get its free ‘Plain English Handbook’
- Is Obamacare readable?: AP asks Ann to evaluate online training program
Measure readability: Targets & tools
- Benchmark readability against the BBC: How does your clarity stack up?
- Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: How hard is your copy to read?
- Flesch Reading Ease: What’s your score on this 100-point scale?
- The Gunning Fog index: Are you smart enough to write for a fifth-grader?
- Measure the Fog: See what you learn when you try it by hand
- 10 free readability calculators: Test your clarity with these cool tools
- What would Hemingway do? Find out with this app
- Measure and manage readability: Readers multiply reading ease
Improve readability: Tips & techniques
- Elements of readability: The writing and the reader determine reading ease
- Readability smackdown: Master Class grads boost readability by up to 300%
- Little Red Schoolhouse school of clarity: ‘It’s good to write clearly’
- Increase readability: What difference does length make?
- CLEAR it up: 5 steps to simplifying your message
- Clarity killers: Avoid these institutional mistakes
- Measure, manage & report readability: 4 more ways to use reading ease
- Write for the world: How to reach readers in the face of global illiteracy
More on readability:
Get more tips on readability tips on Rev Up Readership.