Thanks for your interest in NOT Your Father’s News Release!
Registration is closed now. Sign up to be notified when it’s open again.
By signing up, you are agreeing to receive emails from us.
Get the word out with our PR-writing training
Learn to write NOT Your Father’s News Release — online, Aug. 31-Sept. 28
Some 55% to 97% of all press releases sent to media outlets are never used, according to Dennis L. Wilcox and Lawrence W. Nolte’s Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques.
Learn to put your PR pieces among the 3% to 45% that actually get the word out at NOT Your Father’s News Release, our PR writing Master Class — online.
“The release I worked on in Ann’s Master Class got 68.5% more page views and 19% more coverage vs. our top competitors than average. It got picked up by two targeted industry publications and resulted in a follow-up interview with our metro daily.”
— Loren LeVasseur, public relations supervisor, Coverys
Read more rave reviews
What you’ll learn
In this workshop, you’ll join other public relations industry experts to learn how to:
- Create two types of stories media outlets want more of (and avoid one they wish they’d never see again!)
- Go beyond “new and improved” to information readers really want to know about your product or service.
- Avoid PR 101 leads. Still stuffing all those W’s and the H into the first paragraph? Still writing “XYZ Company today announces that …”? It’s time to move on to a more effective approach.
- Beat the boilerplate blues. What’s really supposed to go into these things?
- Pass the Goldilocks test. Write a headline that’s not too long or too short, but just right. (Google News ignores one in five releases because the headline is too long!)
- Stop using the most overused PR buzzwords. Journalists and bloggers — not to mention readers — will love you for it.
- Write quotes that sound human — not like a computer spit them out.
- Steal techniques from Silver Anvil winners. Make your sound bites sound better.
- Reach the 67% of “readers” who skim the news, according to a Harris Interactive Poll. (Just 19% read news word-by-word.)
- Make the most of the hot spot in your headline. Otherwise, potential readers might skip instead of click.
- Avoid Google’s wrath. Avoid best practices from last year that Google now treats as gaming the system. The penalty: lower rankings.
Get a PR-writing workout with Wylie.
In the crunch of writing headlines and meeting deadlines, it sometimes seems as if there’s not enough time to pause and consider how you’re doing. But in our case studies and practice sessions, you’ll get a great opportunity for reflection and improvement.
You’ll write and rewrite, get and give feedback, and leave with a totally rewritten piece. You’ll:
- Master the techniques you learn in the workshop by applying them immediately. (That’s how we put the “Master” in the Master Class!)
- Gain valuable insights on your work from your peers and from Ann.
- Learn to analyze and improve others’ writing — the best skill you can develop for editing others or improving your own work.
Your writing coach: Ann Wylie, the Public Relations Society of America’s “national writing coach” and author of PRSA’s Strategies/Tactics “Writing With Wylie” column. Come learn the techniques Ann’s used to earn more than 60 communication awards, including two IABC Gold Quills.
Location & logistics
Join us via Zoom from 10 a.m. to noon Pacific on:
- Aug. 31: Intro, class orientation, Think Like a Reporter
- Sept. 8: Live coaching session; Anatomy of a News Release, Write Killer Bites, Build Better Boilerplate
- Sept. 14: Live coaching session; Cut Through the Clutter in PR
- Sept. 21: Live coaching session; Lift Ideas Off the Release
- Sept. 28: Live coaching session
Can’t make a date? You’ll have on-demand access to the online workshop until October 28.
- Silver (workshop only): $1,195
- Gold (Silver +$300 worth of learning tools): $1,295
- Platinum (Gold +$297 subscription to Rev Up Readership): $1,395
- Diamond (Platinum +$750 private coaching session with Ann): $1,795
Save up to $100 with our group discounts.
Please learn about our discounts, cancellation policy and more in our FAQ.
“I typically wouldn’t spend this much on a workshop, but this was so worth it.”
— Bonnie Leedy, CEO, School Webmasters
PRSA members: Earn 4 APR maintenance credits.
Questions? Contact Ann.