Get opened, get read — and get home early with these techniques
As we plan our upcoming Master Classes, I’ve been creating a lot of new slides. Here’s a sneak peek at some of my favorites.
1. Hey, Baby, it’s a mobile world! As more of your audience reads your email newsletters and e-blasts on their — ahem! —smartphones, have you optimized your email writing for mobile? Learn to reach your email recipients via mobile.
2. Half of your audience members can’t read at the 8th-grade level. Write at that level, and you’ll miss 50% of your readers. Learn to reach all of your readers by making messages more readable.
3. People read and share content that’s relevant, valuable and interesting. Are you writing content-marketing pieces that make readers laugh or that help them live their lives better? Or are you just blah-blahing on about your latest widget? Learn to write content readers want to read — not just content you wish they wanted to read.
4. Lead with the benefits … substantiate with the features. Write about what readers can do with your products, services, programs and ideas — not about the products, service, programs and ideas themselves. Learn to move readers to act by writing from the reader’s point of view.
5. Creative material boosts readership and more. So how are your skills at writing metaphors, wordplay and stories? Add more tools to your storytelling toolkit.
6. Want to knock out brilliant drafts with less effort? Learn a process that works with — not against — your brain. Learn to Write Better, Easier & Faster.
7. Journalists rank PR quotes as the least valuable thing in a release — below the boilerplate and dateline. So how can you transform lame-ass quotes into snappy sound bites? Learn to get the word out with PR writing.
8. People spend half the time on your web page when they’re using a smartphone. Are you getting your message across on the mobile web? Learn how to Reach Readers Online.