Make copy look easier to read
Readers take measure of — and make decisions about — your copy based on how it looks. One of the most important visual cues is paragraph length.
As Jon Ziomek, associate professor at the Medill School of Journalism, says: “Long paragraphs are a visual predictor that a story won’t work.”
Paragraph length: How long is too long?
- Made you look: Want to keep readers reading? Keep paragraphs short
- Polish your paragraphs: Encourage readership by making them tight
- Hit Return more often: People skip long paragraphs
- Avoid the suitcase lead: Try a bikini lead instead
- Numeracy counts: 88% of adults worldwide are incompetent at math
More on paragraphs: Tricks & tools
- Quotes on paragraph length: What writers & others say