Summarize the big idea after the headline
Decks — aka, summary blurbs — are the secondary level of headline, the one-sentence summary under the main head. (The deck on this page is, “Summarize the big idea after the headline.”)
Decks may be the best-read element on a page, at least online. So don’t drop the deck.
- If I’ve told you once …: The deck should expand on the headline, not repeat it
- Polish your deck: It’s the best-read element on your webpage
- Take a load off: Three ways to streamline your headline with your deck
- What happened? Why? News in the headline, the reasons behind it in the deck
- More important than the headline: Decks may be the only things visitors read